Combined Liability

Employers Liability: This is a legal requirement without which you could be breaking the law. There is sometimes confusion over what constitutes an employee. Actors or crew acting as freelance or volunteers, whether you pay them or not must be covered by Employers Liability insurance. Do not confuse insurance with the Inland Revenue - just because you do not pay someone’s income tax does not mean they are not employees. If they are under your control you are legally responsible for them and you must have the insurance by law.

Public Liability: This insurance protects you from claims made against you by third parties for property damage or bodily injury. You have a choice of limits available of £1,000,000, £2,000,000, £5,000,000 & £10,000,000. Although in most instances £2,000,000 is deemed adequate, most local authorities and many venues now require £5,000,000 or even £10,000,000 limits.

Please be aware that you must carry your own public liability cover even if the venue carries its own. We have had many incidents where the venue have sued the visiting theatre company - for example where a stage has been damaged during get in/out.

You do not have to be a client of Performers to make use of our knowledge. If you have any insurance related queries do not hesitate to call our team on 01708 860999 or fill in our contact form.